Join Now to Connect with THOUSANDS of Flagler County Residents. It's Free and Easy ...

Salt Air and Living On the Ocean Question?

Just wondering how damaging living on the ocean is. I know when driving on A1A my vehicle gets covered with a salt air film. I know my Harley also started to rust even though I washed and dried it off every time I rode on A1A and kept it clean and it still started to show rust spots.
Does the salt air hurt your home appliances including your outside air conditioner and your home in general?
Smile
Air conditioning units do take beating. They last a couple years less than expected.
People that I know living in Flagler Beach do seem to have a lot of rust around the house. Not to mention washing windows. A lot!
Knowing what salt can do, common sense would say of course living on or near the ocean with the salt air can ruin a lot of things faster inside the house as well as outside. All one has to do is open a window or door and the salt air gets in. No one could pay me enough to live on or within 10 miles of the ocean. Especially when there is nothing to block the wind from blowing directly at the house.

BTW, did you get another bike?&|
If you live east of US 1 you are within 10 miles of the ocean.
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motive questioned.
TrickyRicky;1652087 said...
No one could pay me enough to live on or within 10 miles of the ocean.

That takes in all the land (in Flagler County) east of I-95, and some to the immediate west of it, as well.

Belle Terre Pkwy lies approx. 3.5 ~ 4 (on average) miles west of the ocean.
Corrosion is terrible here - our bicycles stay inside!
Kay
I lived in a beach front condo in St. Augustine for ten years and maintenance costs
were unbelievable. No owners would ever drive on the beach after seeing the effects
the salt in the sand produce on vehicles.
and so I too bid adieu.......
computacat;1652091 said...
That takes in all the land (in Flagler County) east of I-95, and some to the immediate west of it, as well.

Belle Terre Pkwy lies approx. 3.5 ~ 4 (on average) miles west of the ocean.

Well that's wierd because I clocked it once and from my house to Flagler Beach is 11.3 miles.&|
TrickyRicky;1652116 said...
Well that's wierd because I clocked it once and from my house to Flagler Beach is 11.3 miles.&|

That's driving distance...the way the crow flies it's a shorter distance.
"Those who stir the pot should have to lick the spoon." ~Unknown
Beachy;1652121 said...

...and that's what counts to me. Besides I don't give a rats backside which way a crow flies.Tongue
I did some work on a beautiful four story house right on the ocean at Cinnamon Beach. All the exterior door hardware, though very expensive and supposedly corrosion resistant, was really taking a beating. I found this fantastic stuff online called Salt-X. It can't restore any damage that has been done, but it quickly and easily removes all salt accumulations from any surface therefore stopping any further damage. I used it to clean up all the hinges and locksets and then applied a good lubricant. It really made a difference.
I know you are!

But what am I?
Yup the "salt air" does destroy many things on the out side and at time inside ones home. Most all exterior things like lights and door hardware that have a life time finish warranty in their fine print say it does not cover coastal Florida. Also in attic space the out side air can cause damage to can lights in your living space as well as other metal things up there.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear" ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We considered buying a house in Ormond by the sea until we found out about the high maintenance costs and salt damage from living that close to the ocean. Smile
TrickyRicky;1652087 said...
No one could pay me enough to live on or within 10 miles of the ocean. Especially when there is nothing to block the wind from blowing directly at the house.

Beachy;1652121 said...

TrickyRicky;1652132 said...
...and that's what counts to me. Besides I don't give a rats backside which way a crow flies.Tongue

So its not if you live within 10 miles of the ocean BUT the driving distance or rout you take. With that in mind you could live one block off the ocean but still drive ten or more miles to see it then all would be good with ya.Tongue
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear" ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ